Crazy S$%$t People Fight Over
Losing the battle and winning the war is great in concept, but most of us have at one point in our lives yielded to the alternative principle: getting tripped up on the petty.
I asked one of Manhattan’s top litigators, Jacqueline Newman, Esq. of Berkman, Bottger, Newman & Rodd, LLP, to help me comprise a list of the craziest things we’ve seen or heard of couples fighting over in a divorce case. Here’s the top five:
- The right to minced veggies. In a case where there were literally millions of dollars at stake, it all came down to the Cuisinart blender — an appliance worth several hundred dollars. One spouse, who incidentally could afford to buy a new such blender each month for life if s/he so chose, swore to not settle until the Cuisinart was won. Upon winning, s/he immediately threw out the thing.
- Even the scaly ones. They’re part of the family but still classified as legal property so it makes sense that we’ve seen countless negotiations over the custody, visitation and decision-making of and for dogs and cats… as well as some fights over the less obvious: bunnies, turtles and fish.
- E-mail accounts. Weeks of stalemate resulted over an ex refusing to change a personal email account while the other demanded s/he register for a new one… that didn’t combine their names.
- Plastic bags. Yep, the disposable ones — as in what you get after shopping at a drug store or super market and roll up under the sink for later use. Useful, sure, but enough so to inspire a screaming fight on moving day? Apparently, yes.
- Wedding Photos. Enough said.